Jõgevamaa Send e-mail
St. Andreas' Lutheran Church In Äksi / DescriptionSt Andreas Church was built in its present shape in 1889 yet a church in Äksi was first documented as early as in 1443. A memorial stone to O. W. Masing (1763-1832), the pastor of Äksi from 1815 to 1832, is in the church yard. He published “The Countryfolks Weekly” and introduced the letter “õ” in the literary Estonian language. He also compiled an Estonian-German dictionary and must be credited for improving the life of the Estonian schoolchildren.
The initial Äksi church is believed to lie in Lake Saadjärv. Seven brothers went to the church together and the church sank into the earth. Lake Saadjärv was formed on the site. The present church was about to sink on the same reason but the last of the brothers managed to jump back from the doorway and the church survived.
Write a review
Be the first to review this company