Kuressaare, Saaremaa Send e-mail
The Monument Of The War Of Independence / DescriptionThe monument opposite the County Government building is dedicated in July 29, 1928 to commemorate the islanders who lost their lives in the battles in the Estonian War of Independence (1918 - 1920). The famous Estonian sculptor Amandus Adamson has depicted a wounded soldier leaning on the rock. On the back side of the monument there are bronze plaques with 160 names of the fallen. The monument was demolished by the Soviet Army on the 18th of June 1940, restored and erected to its place in autumn 1942. In spring 1945 the monument was once more destroyed by the Soviets. It was again restored in 1990, July 23, on the Victory Day. Sculptor Mati Varik.
Write a review
Be the first to review this company