Võrumaa Send e-mail
Vana-Vastseliina Linnus / DescriptionThe Episcopal castle dating back to the 14th century was established by the Bishop of Tartu and Grandmaster of Livonia and thanks to many renovations and extensions it developed into a strong border fortress. The landlords of the castle came from many different countries. The castle met its end during the Great Northern War when it was demolished by Russian troops (1702). In the Middle Ages, Vastseliina Castle was well known in the Catholic world as a popular destination for pilgrims. They worshipped the holy cross in the castle chapel and a visit to the chapel gave them sanctification for 40 days – it was first validated by Pope Innocentius VI in 1354.
Write a review
Be the first to review this company