Võrumaa Skicka e-post
Orthodox Church Of The Transfiguration Of Our Lord In Obinitsa / BeskrivningIn 1950, the local priest, Vileomon Talomees, started building a new church beside the graveyard. The congregation was given a one-hectare piece of land and two old abandoned buildings. In the beginning the priest worked alone; later, encouraged by the priest`s example and at his request, other members of the congregation joined in. In 1951, various obstacles arose that hindered the building of the church. The Dean of Võru County did not support the venture, as he was involved in the building of Meeksi church. Building materials were donated by local farmers and the builders received no pay. Some assistance came from the Estonian Diocese.
In spite of obstacles, the interior decorations of the church could begin in January 9, 1952. Valga church presented Obinitsa congregation with the property of Tõrva church (the bell, icons, candelabrum, candlesticks, altar, the priest`s robes). The church was still in scaffolding when Roman, the bishop of Tallinn, consecrated the church in honour of the Transfiguration on June 15, 1952.
On October 27, 1953, Vileomon Talomees received a letter of thanks from bishop Roman for his self-denying and self-sacrificing work in building the new church, the priest`s living quarters and other buildings for Obinitsa congregation. V.Talomees was given the right to wear sacred paalitsa.
Write a review
Be the first to review this company
Be the first to review this company Write a review