Lääne-Virumaa Skicka e-post
Vaindloo Tuletorn / BeskrivningThe Estonian northernmost island Vaindloo used to have a wooden beacon built in 1718 under the orders of czar Peter the Great. The current cast-iron lighthouse, manufactured in England, is the very first lighthouse in Estonia constructed in the Gordon system. Initially it was erected on Vormsi Island, but soon proved to be inadequate in its location due to constant fogs. A decision was made in 1871 to dismantle the lighthouse and bring it to Vaindloo, where the old wooden beacon had collapsed. The order to build a new lighthouse ensemble was given a year before that, so the construction of the outbuildings had already started. The whole ensemble has preserved remarkably well for over a century now and the outbuildings are used as a border guard station.
Write a review
Be the first to review this company